Sunday, March 15, 2009

OBOD: Gwersu of the Bardic Grade: Gwers 1

Link
Gwers of the Bardic Grade

Gwers One: Initiation into the Grove of the Bards


Third Triad: “Three gains of those who heed the advice of the Old Ones: illumination, wisdom, and clarity.”

Initiation

I have always been mildly hesitant to accept fully the results of a self-initiation. I suppose I prefer the word and concept “dedication” when it comes to performing a rite by myself, for myself, with only myself for company: partly for reasons of accountability, and partly because “initiation” implies lineage, and that in turn implies someone to pass that lineage down. Yet, at the same time, I am also aware that I am performing the rite in the presence of the Spirits and Ancestors, and indeed of the Divine. So in that sense I am not alone, “being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,” as the saying goes.

[Both for reasons of copyright, and for psychological and mystical reasons having to do with the initiation process itself, I have been requested by OBOD to not publish an account of this rite. Suffice it to say that it was successful, powerful, and moving!]

And as I completed the rite, I felt myself filled with a sense of liberation, on the one hand, and of determination and inspiration on the other. So… maybe there is something to “solo” (self-) initiations, after all! I still hope to repeat this rite, at some point in the future, with the presence and assistance of others. But I am no longer convinced that that will necessarily result in a deeper or more meaningful experience than I have had in this solo enactment. I am a Bard of the Grove of Bards, in the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. May I continue to grow in knowledge, wisdom, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment